Five important things to remember in the COVID-19 era
1. It only takes one to start an outbreak. An infectious disease outbreak will always have the advantage as it makes its way through communities. This is due to the fact that most people don't know they are infected or that what they have is extremely contagious. Therefore, it is our job as a community to take all the precautions we can and protect ourselves from these pathogens.
2. Practice proper handwashing. Pick a song and sing it (out loud or in your head) to make sure you are effectively washing your hands.
3. Know the symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, coughing, body aches, respiratory distress). Minimize contact with others during these symptoms and seek medical attention immediately
4. Stay up to date with the latest news. Doctors and researchers are learning new things about COVID-19 every day. It is important to stay up to date as guidelines evolve.
5. Do. Not. Panic. While we as a country have never seen anything like this with sports being canceled, towns shut down, and social distancing happening, panicking is not the way to go. Take precautions, limit yours and your family's risk and educate yourselves.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19, please see the CDC.